As promised in yesterday’s Ashley Facts: Part I, I’m back today with 7 Random and/or Weird Facts about me. I always find these more fun to read than the standard “I grew up here…went to school there…do this now…” spiel. They’re both necessary, of course, but revealing your quirks is like getting past the first few dates and letting the other party in on the real you.
So here’s a taste of the “real” me…
Random and/or Weird Facts:
1. I shared a pet gnome with my girlfriends in college. We found him perched atop a trashcan outside the town Burger King at the beginning of freshman year. Innocent and lonely, he was clearly waiting for our rescue. We adopted him immediately and appropriately named him “Nanners” after the large ceramic banana he clutched in his pudgy ceramic arms. He came on many an adventure with us – to French class, school meetings, the dining hall. Unfortunately, he tumbled off a cafeteria tray one evening and led the rest of his life completely wrapped in clear packaging tape – the only thing that would safely hold together his fragile wounds. Still, Nanners stayed with us through graduation and I believe remains on the fireplace mantle where we left him to this day.
2. I do not eat the tops or bottoms of bananas. If I have a knife, I cut them off. If there is no knife in sight, I pop them off with my fingers and toss them into the garbage. It’s become a sort of superstition for me.
3. I am infatuated with puppies. They have an uncanny ability to make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Seeing as I do not have one of my own (see Normal Fact #2), I am forced to live vicariously through other pet owners. This involves being a regular visitor to dailypuppy.com via the Daily Puppy widget I placed front and center on my Google homepage. Dan (see Normal Fact #6) gets instant messages with links whenever an especially cute puppy is featured. If he is not there to receive an instant message, he gets an e-mail.I would say this happens, oh…four or five times a week. No one should miss out on that adorableness.
4. My college girlfriends (same ones as above) and I call each other “Mom” instead of going by our first names. I’m not totally sure how this got started, but I think it had something to do with me always having keys out of the purse and ready to get us into our dorm – a very “mom-like” behavior. Hey, when you’re walking across campus in below freezing Chicago temperatures, you want to be prepared to get into the warmth ASAP! However it began, the nicknames stuck, and I now have four moms.
5. I read the comics with breakfast everyday from age 5 to 22. After that, I no longer received a newspaper at my door each morning, and the tradition sadly came to an end. But you better believe that the funnies page is the first thing I reach for upon waking whenever I’m visiting my parents.
7. I have been told by some that I ask too many questions. I like to say I have a curious mind and inquisitive nature and enjoy the banter of conversation. Others like to say I should think about my inquiries before blurting them out because half of them are rhetorical and I can usually figure out the answer to the rest with 14 extra seconds of thought. I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
So there’s a peak into the random side of me!
I think this tag thing has gone around quite a bit, so rather than risk making the blogging faux pas of re-tagging (gasp!), I’ll just ask anyone who reads this…Do we have anything in common? Come on, own your weirdness!